Target Public Holidays Christmas 2021
AFTER STRONG LOBBYING FROM THE SDA, MEMBERS WILL ENJOY 3 ADDITIONAL PUBLIC HOLIDAYS OVER THE CHRISTMAS/NEW YEAR PERIOD.
THE 8 PUBLIC HOLIDAYS FOR THE UPCOMING CHRISTMAS/NEW YEAR PERIOD ARE:
- Friday, 24 December 2021, 6pm – midnight
- Saturday, 25 December 2021
- Sunday, 26 December 2021
- Monday, 27 December 2021
- Tuesday, 28 December 2021
- Saturday, 1 January 2022
- Monday, 3 January 2022
- Wednesday, 26 January 2022
Please note that if you work the closing shift on Christmas Eve, and perform work after 6pm, all work after 6pm is paid at the public holiday rate.
THANKS TO THE SDA, CHRISTMAS EVE IS A PUBLIC HOLIDAY FROM 6PM TO MIDNIGHT
The Level 1 Full-time, Part-time and Casual Level hourly rate for Public Holidays (250%)
|16 & under||$28.18|
*wage rates are rounded to two decimal places.
PUBLIC HOLIDAYS FOR FULL-TIMERS AND PART-TIMERS
- Whether your store opens or does not open for trade on a public holiday, and you would have been rostered to work, you are entitled to the day off without loss of pay.
- For Full-time employees, if a non-working day falls on a public holiday, you will receive by mutual agreement either:
(a) payment of an additional day’s wage
(b) one day added to your annual leave
(c) another day off with pay to be taken within twenty-eight days of the holiday or during the week prior to the holiday.
For part-time employees, you shall be entitled to (a), (b) or (c) above where you work an alternating roster and the public holiday falls on a day on which you work in any week of your roster cycle.
A part-time employee who works 20 starts per 4 week cycle, whose non-working day falls on a public holiday, shall also be entitled to (a), (b) or (c) above.
Please note that the non-working day benefit does not apply to the Monday, 27 & Tuesday 28 December or Monday 3 January public holiday as it is an additional public holiday.
- Where your store opens for trade on a public holiday and you would normally be rostered to work and you volunteer to work, you shall be paid at the rate of 250% with a minimum payment as for three hours work.
- All Target stores must cease trading by 6pm on Christmas Eve. Also, because Christmas Eve between 6pm and midnight is a part-day public holiday, all work is voluntary.
- After 7pm on New Year’s Eve: Work is voluntary subject to –
(a) Volunteers will be sought at least 7 days prior to New Year’s Eve in cases where permanently rostered staff do not seek to work on that day or time.
(b) In cases of permanently rostered staff not wanting to work at these times they shall be rostered to work on another day or time in the four week cycle as part of their ordinary hours and paid ordinary rates of pay.
(c) Employees need to advise at least 4 weeks prior to New Year’s Eve that they do not want to work.
Target shall initiate a process to determine if any permanently rostered staff do not seek to work their rostered hours after 7pm on New Year’s Eve.
- Public Holidays for Casual Employees
Payment for work is 250%.
Note: A casual employee receives the same Public Holiday hourly rates as a Full-time and Part-time employee.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS:
- What happens if a Public Holiday falls in my Holidays?
Don’t worry. This day will not be deducted from your annual leave balance.
- Do I have to work on a public holiday?
No, all work on a public holiday including Christmas Eve from 6pm to midnight is voluntary for all employees.
- Do roster changes affect my entitlement to public holidays?
No, your roster cannot be changed to avoid payment of penalties, loadings or other benefits. Should this occur you are still entitled to the benefit.
- What is the rate of pay after 6pm on Christmas Eve?
- All work performed after 6pm is paid at the public holiday rate as advised above.