Fee adjustment to meet future challenges
Arising from a decision of the SDA’s National Executive, there has been a modest adjustment in union fees.
Like any other organisation, our operational costs have risen over recent years as we strive to continue providing professional union representation and achieving excellent results for our members.
Some of this work has included:
- Defending members’ penalty rates and loadings from the incessant attacks by employers and conservative politicians
- Created a Social Media presence
- Promoting the No One Deserves a Serve campaign in the Mainstream and Social Media
- Representing members both individually and collectively in various industrial tribunals and courts
- Lobbying and preparing submissions on industrial relations legislation such as casual employees’ rates and rights
- Negotiating and re-negotiating over 100 Enterprise Agreements
- Serving 32,000 members across some 2,000 sites throughout Queensland
- Offering an increasing range of services, benefits and discounts to SDA members
- Producing a wide range of publications including the SDA News, company and site-specific bulletins
- Lobbying the Federal Government and federal Opposition over issues such as restoring Sunday and public holiday penalty rates.
- Lobbying the State Government on the importance of gazetting Christmas Eve after 6pm as a public holiday
- Lobbying governments on matters that impact our members and their families
- Funding workers’ compensation legal costs for members
The SDA is confident that our new fees will allow us to operate in a challenging industrial relations environment and will enable us to continue to function on a sound financial basis.
The new membership fees, operative from 1 July 2019 are:
Working 0 hours per week $ 0.00
Working under 10 hours per week $ 4.10
Working 10 hours or more but less than 20 hours per week $ 7.30
Working 20 hours or more per week $10.20
Casual employees do not pay any fees in those weeks they work no hours.
Members are reminded that union fees are tax deductible.