Important COVID update for Woolworths workers about encouraging wearing masks
Woolworths has now introduced into your store in a policy encouraging both workers and customers to wear face masks. This is to help ensure the health and safety of staff and customers.
The SDA also encourages workers to follow this direction where they can.
If workers do have medical or other reasons for why they cannot wear a mask, please speak to your manager and explain your concerns.
If your concerns remain unresolved or you would like support or advice please contact the SDA on 07 3833 9500.
Why are some stores encouraging face masks but not others?
In stores that are currently situated in an area of community transmission, the company has assessed the risk and determined that for safety the safety of staff, to encourage team members to wear masks. Wearing a face covering is not mandatory but is recommended by the department of health at this stage in some circumstances.
Will other COVID 19 safety measures remain in place?
Yes they will. These include:
- Requiring workers not to attend work if unwell, or are being tested for COVID;
- Following appropriate social distancing and cleaning and hygiene practices (physical distancing, washing/sanitising hands, temperature checks, etc);
- Visiting other Woolworths Group sites (especially those in hot spot locations) only if it is critical.
What happens if customers aren’t wearing masks?
Though Woolworths have sent a message to customers to encourage them to wear masks, it is not mandatory. If customers choose not to wear a mask we cannot require them to. You are not required to question a customer and encourage them to wear a mask. Please don’t approach customers about this, enforcement is not your job.
How can I protect myself from the virus?
As a reminder the QLD Government continues to advise that the best way the public can protect themselves from the virus are consistent with standard good hygiene and cleaning practices. These include:
- Stay home if you are sick;
- If you have any COVID-19 symptoms, no matter how mild, get tested;
- Stay 1.5 metres away from other people—think two big steps;
- Wash your hands lots with soap and water, or hand sanitizer;
- Sneeze or cough into your arm or a tissue. Then put the tissue in the bin.
- Go near people if you are coughing or sneezing;
- Touch your mouth, nose and eyes;
- Shake hands;
- Hug or kiss people.
If you have any concerns please contact the SDA on 07 3833 9500.