Workers’ Compensation Checklist
If you suffer an injury or illness at work that you believe your work has caused or contributed to you should take the following steps:
- Complete an ‘Incident Report Form’ at work, whether or not you need medical treatment.
- If you need medical treatment, visit a Doctor. The Doctor you see is YOUR CHOICE, not the Company’s.
- Ask your Doctor for a ‘WorkCover Medical Certificate’. This Certificate will be for either:
– Total incapacity – if you can’t work at all;
– Partial incapacity – if you can’t do your normal job, but might be able to do other suitable alternative duties;
– Medical Expenses only – if you do not need any time off work at all.
- Return the WorkCover Medical Certificate to your employer.
- Ask your employer for a ‘Workers’ Compensation Claim Form’. Complete this and return it to your employer – they must submit this to the Insurer within 10 days of receiving it.
- If you have issues with your employer refusing or not lodging claim forms, you can lodge forms directly with the relevant insurer or WorkCover (Qld).
- The Insurer must make a decision to either accept or reject your claim within 20 business days after you lodge it.
- Make sure you retain copies of all documents relating to your claim.
If you do not receive a decision on your claim within this time limit, or you need any advice or assistance in relation to your claim, please contact the SDA.