Coles Public Holidays Christmas 2022
November 22, 2021 Know Your Rights
PUBLIC HOLIDAYS FOR FULL-TIMERS AND PART-TIMERS
AFTER STRONG LOBBYING FROM THE SDA, MEMBERS WILL ENJOY 2 ADDITIONAL PUBLIC HOLIDAYS OVER THE CHRISTMAS/NEW YEAR PERIOD.
THE 7 PUBLIC HOLIDAYS FOR THE UPCOMING CHRISTMAS/NEW YEAR PERIOD ARE:
- Sat, 24 December 2022, 6pm – midnight
- Sun, 25 December 2022
- Mon, 26 December 2022
- Tue, 27 December 2022
- Sun, 1 January 2023
- Mon, 2 January 2023
- Thu, 26 January 2023
The Full-time, Part-time Level 1 hourly rate for Public Holidays (225%)
|15 & under||$25.01|
The Casual Level 1 hourly rate for Public Holidays (250%)
|15 & under||$27.78|
- Whether your store opens or does not open for trade on a public holiday, and you would normally be rostered to work, you are entitled to the day off without loss of pay.
- Where your store opens for trade on a public holiday and you would normally be rostered to work and you volunteer to work, you will be paid the appropriate penalty for time worked.
- All Coles stores must cease trading by 6pm on Christmas Eve. Because Christmas Eve between 6pm and midnight is a part-day public holiday, all work is voluntary. Please note that if you work the closing shift, and perform work after 6pm, all work after 6pm is paid at the public holiday rate.
- New Year’s Eve is not a public holiday. However, after 6.00pm on New Year’s Eve the following provisions apply:
(a) Work is voluntary subject to the following:
(i) At least 4 weeks prior, members must advise Coles that they do not want to work;
(ii) Coles will start a process to see if any permanent team members do not want to work their rostered hours, advising team members that work is voluntary;
(iii) permanent team members rostered to work and who do not want to work, may:
(A) access annual leave; or
(B) if they have insufficient annual leave accrued, request to have their ordinary hours, at the sole discretion of Coles, re-rostered in the 4 week cycle as part of their ordinary hours and be paid the Base Rate of Pay and applicable penalties; or
(C) if they have insufficient annual leave, and Coles is unable to re-roster their hours, take unpaid leave;
(iv) where this occurs, at least 7 days prior, Coles will ask volunteers to work; and
(v) if there are not enough volunteers to work, Coles may require a team member to work their rostered shift so that a reasonable staffing level is reached.
- What happens if a Public Holiday falls in my holidays?
Don’t worry. This day will not be deducted from your annual leave balance.
- Do I have to work on a public holiday?
All work on a public holidayis voluntary for all employees. This includes Christmas Eve between 6pm and midnight.
- Do roster changes affect my entitlement to public holidays?
No, one-off roster changes cannot be made to avoid payment of penalties, loadings or other benefits. Should this occur you are still entitled to the benefit.
- What is the rate of pay after 6pm on Christmas Eve?
All work performed after 6pm is paid at the public holiday rate as advised on the front of this flyer.