The SDA has about 1000 shop stewards, delegates and union contacts throughout Queensland. Their role is to represent the interests of the SDA and its members in the workplace.
The major responsibilities of shop stewards and delegates are:
- Recruiting union members.
- Helping enforce Enterprise Agreements and Awards.
- Helping enforce statutory entitlements.
- Promoting the union.
- Assisting members in resolving problems.
- Attending meetings.
- Liaising with their SDA organiser.
Given the importance of the role, the SDA conducts training courses in Brisbane and all regional areas to educate workplace representatives in their role. Our trainer, Kate Banfield, brings a wealth of experience to the job having served as a Recruiter and Organiser after leaving Target some 15 years ago.